Saturday, February 12, 2011

Coming Up Next...!



One of the best things about life is its unpredictability. Everyone likes getting unexpected packages in the mail. In fact, J.J. Abrams gave a great speech regarding the idea that a mystery is more exciting than its resolution. I would go a step further: I would say that a mystery is often second best to reflection. When I was hired by Sega (then called Secret Level), I remember the overwhelming excitement I had for the "unknown." I knew what the project was that I'd be working on, but I didn't know what to expect of it. That was extremely intriguing. During production, I had an amazing time, but I don't think I realized I was having so much fun until now, two years later, when I reflect back upon it.

I was recently hired by Sanzaru Games. I will be starting in about a week. The interesting thing is, at the same time that I am once again experiencing the excitement of the unknown, I am already feeling the pangs of missing Cryptic. The animation team I've worked with here has been the best group of friends I've made at any job I've ever had, and I know I'll miss them terribly.

I guess the point is: Life seems to balance unknowns and nostalgia pretty well. I am sure that the day I walk out of Cryptic for the last time will be very sad for me.

But I don't think I'll be able to resist a Breakfast Club-style fist-to-the-air. The mystery behind the curtain ahead is a SUPER exciting one!!

No comments: